Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Xoc
Tinkerer
Username: Xoc

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:36 am:   

Scott, for the RD, the first step in disassembling the lens front is to unscrew the ring around the plate name, as described in the article you mention.

I have dived a little in the forum archives. Some SP's seems to have been built like the RD appearing in that article. These SP's have a ring with two notches at 180 degrees in it; the ring is usually easy to unscrew (with appropiate tools), and after that you gain access to the inners of the lens. However, other SP cameras have just one notch in the front ring; it is stated by the forum contributors that these rings are not screwed, but glued. In these cases, the only suggested method is "pulling out the ring".

My lens is of the one-notch-only type. I tried to pull the ring out, but without success. I have found comments on the forum from other people getting frustated at the same problem, and no solutions have been given.

One possible approach could be to use some solvent (isopropyl alcohol, other alcohol), in an attempt to soften the gluing material. Maybe I can take the camera with the lens facing down, and try to put some solvent behind the ring by using a syringe and needle. In this way excess solvent will tend to fall down. But there is a chance of some solvent getting into the lens. I do not know if this procedure will be reasonable, risky or just plain crazy. So, any comments are wellcome!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration