Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve_s
Tinkerer
Username: Steve_s

Post Number: 31

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 02:00 pm:   

Apologies for posting a non-camera question, but as it involves a lens fault, maybe it is slightly relevant!

Recently I bought a nice old pair of Wray binoculars. The lenses are coated, so they're post-war, but not later than the early '50s I would guess. The right-hand eyepiece was so cloudy you really could not see through it. Assembled, it looked exactly like a heavy coating of internal condensation. After dismantling it turns out that one surface of the second element (of 3) has the appearance of ground glass. It is quite uniform, apart from a small clearish patch near the edge, and it is clear at the edge where it has been masked by the mountings.

I have tried lighter fluid, vinegar, and ammonia, but nothing touches it and I have to assume it is a fault with the coating. I'm sure it isn't fungus, and none of the other elements have a trace of it. Has anyone else met this sort of defect on a lens, and is there anything I can try, other than attempting to polish the coating off?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration