Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 239

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 05:41 pm:   

i've seen something like this a few times: the front element of an Agfa Super Silette, the front element of a Jupiter-9, and the rear element of an old Rapid Rectilinear. The first 2 were coated, but obviously the RR was not; the Jupiter had the appearance of a random pattern of strings of bubbles across the surface, the other 2 looked more like a pattern of fine surface cracks. I don't have any idea what the cause (or causes) would have been.

I also had a 200mm Kowa tele lens that had an internal layer of coating that had become milky. In this particular case I tried to polish it off and discovered that the coating was extremely hard: I managed to polish out most of the haze without removing any detectable amount of the coating. In other lenses I've seen internal coatings so soft that the slightest touch would ruin them and they could be easily polished off of the glass.... so there's a tremendous degree of variability in this respect from one lens to another.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration