Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 144

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 03:25 am:   

Have gone deeper into the matter, and what I see is very annoying, very.
Take, for example, that Fujica AX-5 from that remote corner of my workbench. Excellent shape from the outside, but only default exposure time. On removing the bottom plate I found both ends of one solenoid's wire (as thin as meter spool wire, of course!) covered with green corrosive gunk! The battery chamber is like new and miles away. The question now is: what, if not a leaking battery, has caused that corroding away of the wires? My suspicion is that Fujica (just like its former competitor Minolta), perhaps for making more short-term profit, did not only use el cheapo electrolytic condensers in their cameras, but also used acidic solder, so the wires could be soldered without having to scrape off the insulating lacquer first. If this is right it is just a matter of time before more (all?) those thin wire's joints will be affected by the acidic componets of the solder used. Can anyone confirm this hypothesis?
NB the Ricoh is still sitting there waiting to be repaired, the tools ordered for the repair are on their way, I hope, W.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration