Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 268

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 06:44 am:   

I think the acid flux theory sounds doubtful. People have known about that problem forever, and people even vaguely knowledgeable in electronics would not use it. Surely anyone building something like the Fujica AX5 would be more than vaguely knowledgeable in electronics. Besides, it doesn't save a detectable amount of money.

I do not believe that the corrosion in battery wires is caused by battery leakage. It typically travels far up the wire, even in cameras where there is no sign of corrosion on the battery contact itself. I believe, rather, that it is galvanic corrosion caused by the constant electrical potential in the wire from the negative pole of the battery. In the case of th eFuji, it may be that a gap in the coating on that piece of thin wire allowed corrosion to begin at that location rather than closer to the battery where the electrical potential was only slightly higher.

This does not make the repair any easier, of course. I think if cameras had been designed with a positive rather than a negative potential on the wiring, we might see less of this problem. Perhaps someone understands why cameras all seem to have "positive ground" electrical systems.....

of course, having said all that, i could be totally full of it too....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration