Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 66

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   

This is not a gospel definitive answer to your query. I do not have an 801 i my collection and have not done surgery on that specific model. BUT - I can tell you that all other Fujica SLR models have electronically-controlled shutters and there was an endemic flaw in Fujifilm's choice control capacitors. Read on.

On all the other models, removal of the baseplate reveals a hard double-sided pcb to the underside of which is to be found a small electrolytic polarised capacitor of value 47microfarads at 6.3v. . Electrolytics dry out and should never have been used. A tantalum substitute is the way to go.

Whenever I have desoldered and removed the electrolytics, one of the legs has simply dropped off - indicating the component was physically and electrically dead. The cameras alwways came back to life when the capacitor was replaced with new (and I used tantalums instead of electro's).

The smaller tantalums on that pcb control the second curtain delays - but they are custom values as determined by factory tests and such odd values are not commercially available.
However - given that tantalums are virtually indestructable I removed each one at a time using solderwick and cleaned up the solderpoints of the pcb. On all five of my Fujica SLR restorations, the shutter speeds and 2nd curtain delays then came good.

This for whatever it is worth to you.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration