Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 272

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 06:46 pm:   

Hi Neil:

It sounds like you have a challenge there, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to get you out of it, but here are some thoughts:

First let me say that I am not an expert in electronics; I prefer the mechanical stuff and only deal with electronics when I have no other choice. Now, with that caveat:

You say the speed is 500 or 1000, too fast for the eye to see. 500 and 1000 are not too fast for the eye to see, if you are looking through the shutter when it fires you will see clearly (though dimly) through it at those speeds. So, I am guessing that the shutter is travelling closed: the second curtain stays with the first all the way across, with no gap in between. In the Canon as in other electronic shutters, the curtains are actually released by electromagnets. It is fairly common if the magnet of the closing curtain gets sticky for the shutter to hang open. I think you may have the opposite problem: the second curtain magnet is failing to hold and therefore the curtain travels as soon as the first curtain begins to move. This may be a matter of cleaning debris off of the surface of the magnets. The magnets are located under the bottom plate of the camera.

one possibility for your focus problem may be that the mirror is not all the way down. This could be caused by something in the linkage of the mirror, or it might be as simple as a piece of dirt on the little ledge where the mirror rests in the down position. I can't think of an explanation for the surface appearance you describe in the lens... but 50mm lenses are very cheap so if need be you could replace it pretty easily.

Deterioration of the foam rubber is common and not a serious problem, as long as you don't let the goop smear on the focusing screen. You can get a good kit for replacing that foam and the light seals from Jon Goodman - but I would hold off on that until you have everything else worked out.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration