Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peteski
Tinkerer
Username: Peteski

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 09:49 pm:   

Kind of a long story so I will try to stick to the high points.

I would like to get into medium format film photography and would like to get a non-functioning camera and work on it myself. I would ultimately like a Hassleblad, but based on my limited research there seems to be a lot of folks who say you should only use factory authorized service. When you price this, a typical CLA on a Hasselblad is $150. Moreover, there don't seem to be a lot of repair manuals and/or information out there for the Hasselblad. A decent used Hasseblad "kit" with one lens typically goes for $800. I am guessing that most used equipment is due for a CLA, and if you tack that onto the $800 you are close to $1,000. Significantly more than I wish to spend.

My ambition is to do some black and white landscapes, nature, informal family portraits, etc and I am doing this as a hobby, not as a money making venture. If I get one great image in a day of shooting, I would call that a good day.

My thoughts are to buy a used body like a Mamiya or Bronica, etc. and work on it. If I destroy it, less money will be lost. If I fix it, I can buy the rest of the package (back, lens, etc) and have a working camera.

I would like to hear from others who have been down this path. If I learn how to fix, say a Mamiya, does that help me fix a Hasselblad down the road?

Sorry for the long winded message. Thanks in advance.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration