Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stewartk
Tinkerer
Username: Stewartk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 05:03 pm:   

This is kind of a late entry here but wanted to add a note: I have been using an item that has worked very well for me and several of my recovering and repair projects on both cameras and Leather cases for light meters etc. It's DAP Weldwood Contact Cement. Smells really strong but it cleans up easily with a q Tip and alcohol and I find that the Wintergreen type of isopropyl alcohol works the best for cleaning up any left over residue on the camera body if the leather ever needs to be removed in the future. It's important to follow the directions and only use a light coat on both surfaces. I apply mine with a few special brushes for just that purpose. The thickness is just a bit thicker than water and flows very well but has a fairly medium to long set time, up to 30 minutes before you must either re-coat or apply the parts to each other. I also allow about a day for the item to "rest" after gluing. As mentioned, clean up is fast, quick and easy. I have once forgotten to wipe my one brush and the next day I thought it was lost but after a few minutes with a rag and the wintergreen rubbing alcohol, it was as good as new.

I got a whole camera done and after a few months decided that I did not care for the covering I had put on it and decided to change it with a nice dark red leather. Removal of the old - new covering was quick and easy, it just peeled right off. A bit of elbow grease and a rag with alcohol took the rest off and I was ready again.

It worked for me but might not be the best solution for every type of covering out there but so far, 5 cameras and 3 restored meter cases later I'm happy with the outcome.

One note: if its used internally close to a lens assembly then proper ventilation is required during and after the process to eliminate to possibility of fogging the lens. This is true for Super Glue as well and mentioned in several restoration sites and restoration texts.

Anyway, I hope it may help someone!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration