Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Earthdragon
Tinkerer
Username: Earthdragon

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 11:47 am:   

Hello,
I have a Canon AE1 that I bought new. Several years ago I loaned it to my daughter for a school project but it came back inoperative- the film advance lever will not operate. I have searched all over the web but have found no solution.

I had read that with the AE1 a dead battery can cause this, but same problem with a new battery.

In the process of investigating, I notice that the mirror is retracted into it's up position like the shutter had been snapped but the mirror failed to return to it's down position for viewing. I can easily pull the mirror down (not stuck) but it will not latch into it's down position. I also notice that if I hold the mirror down, look into the eyepiece, and partially depress the shutter release (which is the only action available to me) I can see that the light meter appears to respond and a red light and a red "m" flash the meter side of the screen.

Since I have owned this camera all these years it has sentimental value to me and I would like to have it functional again, but I can't see spending any money on it. I have decent mechanical skills, so if it's something I could correct myself, that would be great.

Thanks in advance and any info is appreciated.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration