Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thm655321
Tinkerer
Username: Thm655321

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, October 26, 2009 - 08:03 am:   

Hello everyone, new poster here.

I came across Dan Mitchell's site re: cleaning a Prontor-SVS and that ultimately led me to this forum where I thought I would ask a couple of questions. I did do a search here but did not find my answers.

I have inherited two Voigtlanders both with the Prontor-SVS shutters, one a 35mm Vito II a and the other a Perkeo IIIe. The Perkeo seems to function well, with the shutter rarely sticking, but the slower speeds are a bit too slow. The Vito on the other hand sticks often and the delayed action does not function. So I thought I would at least look at what it took to cleaning them myself if it is not an onerous task.

My first question is, if all I want to do is clean it (not take it apart), should I even consider attempting it myself or should I just send it out to a professional?

If I can attempt it myself, is it necessary to remove the shutter completely as Dan has done in the pictures on his site? If yes, is there an appropriate procedure for taking it off?

I don’t understand the term “flush cleaning”. How is that different from soaking the entire shutter? Can flush cleaning be done with the shutter still on the camera?

Last question is whether you can make any recommendations on what to use (lighter fluid, naptha or otherwise) to do the cleaning and what brands you might recommend.

Thanks in advance for helping someone new to this.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration