Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dennisdietz
Tinkerer
Username: Dennisdietz

Post Number: 26

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, December 11, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   

Tom,

Thanks for your response. The degreased threads did not bind, they simply did not run smooth as the friction caused by metal on metal was not conducive for "smoothness" of operation. IN this case, while I may not have described it well, the threads were free of all oil and grease when I was done. Naptha/lighter fluid is an excellent solvent for grease as both are petroleum based and both are non-polar substances. Alcohol, surprisingly, will work even though it is a polar substance, however I find alcohol most effective with oil and when the oil is sparing. I have successfully used isopropyl alcohol (rubing alcohol) to clean oily aperture blades. I find it works really well as it also helps remove any moisture also and drys very fast.

I've actually been finding lithium grease to be too thick, at least the particular types I have. I find that even if I "undercoat" the threads I will get stiffness, as the grease is a little thick and it fills in the threads to much. Maybe I should say it is too "sticky" but I feel the majority of the issue revolves around the viscousity of the material.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bearing grease". White lithium grease is frequently used to pack bearings in machinery (pseudo mechanic here). Some seems to be thicker, stickier or more viscous than others. Many seem to have a carrier solvent mixed in to make application easier or to allow penetration into moving parts. That makes the grease initially less thick, sticky or viscous but eventually that solvent, being volatile, evaporates.

Its interesting, playing with the lens now it seems less stiff than this morning. Maybe I am just less annoyed cause it was super smooth last night. Smooth is the wrong word, it is very smooth no, but is a little stiffer than I would like.

I would still love to hear more thoughts and experience,especially concerning specific brands of lubrication. I would like to find a better lube to use as I feel like this spray stuff will continue to thicken up. I'll certainly wait a little and report back with my findings.

Thanks again!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration