Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 34

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   

OK, so I was about to check the light meter in this camera when I discovered a fundamental problem that has me stumped.

I noticed that after putting in a fresh battery that the meter needle was deflecting even with the switch on the bottom turned to "OFF". So I took off the bottom plate and checked: even with the bottom plate off (and no possible connection between any switch contacts), the battery still deflects the meter.

The wiring seems super-simple: there's a single wire connecting the "hot" (negative) terminal from the battery holder to the switch contact. It looks impossible for any current to flow with the bottom removed, and yet it does. I thought that maybe over the years the insulators in the switch might have somehow become conductive; this seems to be the only explanation, yet an ohmmeter shows no continuity between any of the contacts.

Anyone have any ideas? Seems like the only workaround for now is to leave the battery out when not using the camera.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration