Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 173

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, February 07, 2010 - 01:33 pm:   

Many of us 'tinkerers' feel the same uncertainty and frustration with cleaning and lubricating the cloth type shutter. It seems there are secrets that professionals are understandably reluctant to disclose, but even Tomosy and seasoned hands on this forum are less than forthcoming when giving advice on exactly WHERE to relube.
Here is my ten cents worth. For the Pentax K series and Spotmatics, just clean and don't lube. The shutter spindles sit in teflon bearings and don't appear to require oil.
Minolta SRT series; the 1st and 2nd curtain wind gears appear to be factory dusted with dry moly. Leave them alone. The bottom spindle bearings can be oiled but I found Nyoil much too thick, a tiny drop of RemOil is OK.
Canon FTb; the curtain wind gears are best left alone but the upper ball races can be wiped with a small piece of blotting paper soaked in lighter fluid followed by application of small drop of RemOil.

I shall now retire to my bunker and await the flak.

PS a creaky film advance is probably caused by the 1st curtain brake being a bit too tight, and is not related to lack of lubrication on the drive gears.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration