Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David_nebenzahl
Tinkerer
Username: David_nebenzahl

Post Number: 158

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, February 15, 2010 - 04:25 pm:   

I'll talk about the one I built, and hopefully others will add their own observations and experiences.

I built a fairly simple but very accurate shutter-speed indicator. It's a small microprocessor-based unit, in a small project box about 1x2x4 (inches). It uses a SX-28 MPU, an easy-to-program 8-bit chip, complete with memory, similar to the more well-known PIC line of processors, first introduced by Ubicom, then taken over by Parallax (currently owned by some other company, forget the name: they're still available).

The tester consists of the SX-28 chip, a phototransistor used as the light sensor, an oscillator crystal, a LCD display (1x16 characters) and a few other components (including switches and a 9-volt battery). Total cost as I remember was less than $40. (Of course you need a programmer for the SX too; I borrowed one to program it.)

The program is pretty simple, consisting of the following:

o Sit in a loop waiting for the phototransistor to sense light
o Start the timer counter, wait until it goes dark again
o When it goes dark, compute and display the elapsed time in milliseconds

There's some de-bouncing code and some display routines (plus hand-coded multiply and divide routines), but that's basically it.

It shows you how long the shutter stayed open in milliseconds (1 second = 1000, 1/25 = 40, etc.).

I know it's accurate to at least +/- 0.1 millisecond, as I tested it against a known good timer circuit with a microsecond resolution, so it's plenty accurate enough, at least for the cameras I work on.

I'd be curious to hear about anyone else's DIY shutter speed test strategies. I know about the sound-card tester (basically a more primitive version of mine), using a TV set, various tricks with turntables, etc.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration