Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim_witt
Tinkerer
Username: Tim_witt

Post Number: 15

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 03:02 pm:   

I know the needle should at some point track with the shutter knob because of the meter housing coupling to the shutter speed knob but this needle moves with every click of the shutter dial until the needle reaches a firm stop at the top or bottom of the scale. When the needle touches either firm stop, there are two speeds left. When the knob is turned these two clicks, the needle is pressed against either firm stop and the meter housing will continue to turn these last two clicks. This repositions the needle (deflection via pressing needle against hard stop) by two (speed)stops and the needle does not spring return to any point. Turning the speed dial the opposite way does the same thing just one way the speed knob is increasing and the other way it is decreasing.
First defect found was oxidized switch contacts with 1.35 volts on the common of the switch and zero on either the meter position or the meter test position. Cleaning the switch contacts resulted in 1.35 volts available at both switch points. The meter needle never deflects regardless of light level or meter test position. I am convinced the needle is not turning freely in it's jeweled bearings. I can't see these without further disassembly so it's unknown if there is lint, dirt or other crud in the movement. So far, the inside of the camera has been clean. I would not expect any lubricant to have been used on the movement during manufacture. I've identified the wire going to the meter so tomorrow I'll check voltage there and try to examine the needle movement without disassembly of the meter unit.
If I find proper voltage at the meter but no deflection and I find voltage variation with different light levels using a VOM at the meter wire and no deflection, I'll then check the meter coil to see if it is open. If the coil is open then I'll go no further since the meter would be bad. If the coil is not open I'll touch the needle with a probe to see if is moves freely and see if it returns via spring to some resting point. If it does not move freely, I may then spray electrical contact cleaner in the meter movement to see if that helps, nothing to lose if the meter does not move freely in it's bearings anyway.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration