Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 04:44 am:   

I have a question to the more experienced camera fans :-)

Shutter in my Yashica runs dead-on for times 1s - 1/60s. But anything faster is off:
1/125s is 1/90s in reality.
1/250s is 1/160s,
and 1/500 clocks in at 1/220s.

I don't really expect 1/500 to be anywhere near reality, but I'd like to have 1/125s where it belongs. I don't know however, if it's realistic - how do other shutters of this type perform.

I have till now
1) taken the shutter out of my camera,
2) removed the faceplate and speed selection cam from its front,
3) removed the self-timer assembly (plastic gears)
4) dunked the rest in white gas = coleman fuel = lighter fluid = light, easily flammable, volatile liquid with a sharp, but not repulsing smell that dissolves oils well ;). Put it in a small ultrasonic cleaner and let it run for a few minutes to remove light contamination.
6) Tested the shutter: all times went for the worse, 1/125s sitting at 12.5ms = 1/80s.
5) dunked it in clean petroleum (paraffine oil, lamp oil, oily feeling liquid with a heavy smell, dissolving gunk well, leaving oily residue), again ultrasonic cleaner. Some more dirt was dislocated, but nothing to write home about. Repeated washing in white gas to remove excess of petroleum.
6) Reassembled. Nothing changed really, shutter times are just a tad bit better, but still off (1/125s was at 1/85s before cleaning).

On http://pheugo.com/cameras/index.php?page=copalmxv there's a photo of a similar shutter:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8024/shut04.jpg
This is a closeup of the retarder. The whole assembly can pivot around the left flat-head screw in the uppermost plate (the topmost plate has two screws and three bushings between them. The right screw has a feather holding escapement. I mean the other screw). The assy is held by a second small screw with a philips head, not present in the photo mentioned above. By releasing a bit of tension on that small screw I can pivot the retarder assy a bit and slightly influence the shutter speed, but only towards slower (i.e. turn my 1/90s into 1/80s).

I my shutter the left screw has a philips head too. I have unfortunately stripped the head in an attempt to remove the assembly *shame on me*.

What are my options, besides accepting it and using 1/250s setting as 125?
thanks in advance,
Marek Lewandowski

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration