Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rrodscott
Tinkerer
Username: Rrodscott

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2010 - 07:26 pm:   

I found a great old AE-1, but I had the problem with the control cable being broken and the exposure needle bottoming out. I pulled off the top and reconnected the cable, but I don't know how to "time" the shutter speed/ASA dial to the traces below the wiper, which lie under the spring-loaded spool under the film rewind knob. So far, I just set the lowest ASA and highest shutter speed for maximum counter-clockwise travel of the pulley below the shutter speed/ASA dial, and then positioned the wiper below the spring-loaded pulley under the film rewind lever over the thinnest part of the trace. Also, when I first got the camera, I shot lots of film using the auto setting on the lens and a sensible shutter speed. Although the meter didn't work, (it was bottoming out) I got lots of good pics. I used an old style weston light meter to set the shutter speeds. It seems that the auto-exposure circuit is separate from the circuit that feeds the exposure meter. Now, I'd like to use the camera's exposure meter to set the shutter speed. Is there a rigging position for the two spools? I've really enjoyed this forum, and it helped me to unstick the shutter and find the cause of the meter's bottoming out.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration