Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ravenlot
Tinkerer
Username: Ravenlot

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2010 - 10:41 am:   

Hi,

I hope I'm not posting too prematurely. I just starting to collecting old cameras though I have had a long admiration for fine mechanical devices including cameras.

I purchased a Kodak Retina II at an estate auction. It looked like it was in excellent condition with the exception of some wear on the leather case. I'm now aware that cameras of this age need to be cleaned, lubed and adjusted but I'd like to tinker with it as far as I can first because that's what I like to do.

I looked up information on these old Retinas and found a wealth of information. However, a few more questions.

I know there were various "types" of the II model. Mine has a Rodenstock-Heligon lens and Compur-Rapid shutter. I don't know if http://www.wctatel.net/web/crye/retina.htm is complete but it suggests that this camera is a type 011 or 014. Chris Sherlock's page suggest that the serial number on mine (264493) indicates that it is a 014.

I read that there should be a sync flash connection around the 7 o'clock area but I can't seem to find it. Perhaps what I was reading as for another "type" or model. Plus, I've never used those (spoiled by digital) so I'm not entirely sure what to look for on the camera.

I know this camera was made in Germany though I wouldn't expect the labeling on the camera to be in German too. The knob on the top left was writing: Infrarot, Color Kunstlicht, etc. I've look those up, Infrared and Tungsten respectively. Perhaps this was purchsed in Germany? I know the prior owner collected some WWII stuff including some that were German. Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, I haven't found a Retina II manual that covers that function. I found a manual online but it seems to be a different "type" of Retina II as the photos of that knob area are different. Where can I find a more thorough manual? Or perhaps someone can inform me how to use that function.

Finally, I'd like to clean the viewfinder. I read it naturally has a yellowish/brownih tint to it but mine also has some haze too. I read the article on this website which covers removing the top cover generally. But I wasn't able to apply it to this camera. I haven't figured out how to remove the film advance knob that is located on the top left. It appears to hold the top cover in place even after removing two screws located on each side of the top cover. Could anyone tell me how to remove the cover?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Michael

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration