Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aphototaker
Tinkerer
Username: Aphototaker

Post Number: 269

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 08:19 am:   

Yes, I agree with your first point. I read AE-1 Program's service manual last night and there is a sentence, just one, saying that MG1 is sprayed with an oil dispersant otherwise oil on it will cause the aperture to close more than it should. The sticking due to the oil delays the arm's release from the armature. So, given your suggestion and the blurb in AE-1 Program's manual, I am going to focus on this factor next.

Regarding the second point, I also discovered that it is not true in A-1's case. The AE board on the side of the mirror cage of this camera is not like the one in AE-1 but like the one in AE-1 Program. There is a arc of metal stripes over which the diaphragm contact travels thus shorting the corresponding contact to ground when over a metal strip and opening it when not. This gives a series of high and low pulses, as the diaphragm is closing, which the camera's meter circuit counts. The count is used to decide when to stop closing the diaphragm.

I will report back how it goes.

Thank you for your insights.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration