Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Monopix
Tinkerer
Username: Monopix

Post Number: 196

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 04:28 am:   

Finally fixed this problem. The problem was the capacitor that is used to drive the release magnet. It seems this was a common problem because in later cameras the cap was changed for a larger type.

Here's a picture of a later FR1 (serial number 717152). The cap is the big purple one.
fr1cap1

The cap is a 220uF 6.3V electrolytic. It looks like this was factory fitted as the pads on the PCB where the original cap was fitted haven't been used.

The cap in the faulty camera (serial number 010969) was a 100uF 6.3V tantulum. I replace it with a 220uF 10V electolytic (which is the same cap used to repair Minoltas with faulty caps).

The original cap was fitted under the small PCB under the ISO dial. There wasn't enough space for the electrolytic so I brought it out to one side. It's the black cap in the next picture.
fr1cap2

The new cap in the later camera is fixed in a different place but there's also some wiring differences and when I checked the signals at the original cap position with those at the new position, they were different so I opted to fit the replacement cap to the original pads and not to where the new cap is fitted in the later camera.

Now I just need to fix the frame counters in both cameras and we'll be out of here.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration