Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henry
Username: Henry

Post Number: 53

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 11:48 am:   

I could have agreed with Barnum if Brianshaw's question had the word shelf replaced with pedestal. :-)

But seriously...or maybe seriously mystical?...Though I have not camera tinkered for a good many years, I do remember a Leica M3 that came to me with a dent adjacent to the wind lever and a separated rangefinder doublet. The rest seemed pristine and ready to see and face the world again. A couple months of ebay trolling garnered a M2 rangefinder assembly in excellent condition. After installation and halfway through the first roll of film the speeds got flaky. Sometimes slow, sometimes fast...very inconsistent. After a cleaning, lube and adjustment, but before a full roll of film the lower curtail strap lets go. No new parts required, just a reglueing. Again...not yet finished a complete roll and the advance detent mechanism refuses to detent, allowing unlimited turning of the advance.

I stared long at the camera...and it stared longer back. It now sets beside my late mother's portrait in the china cabinet she left me.

I bought a Leica M4 that likes to take the photos I like to take.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration