Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Blaz38
Tinkerer
Username: Blaz38

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 06:50 am:   

Hello everybody classic enthusiasts.

I have a Retina I, bought at a charity. Compur shutter 1s-1/500s. Shutter speeds 1/10-1/500 look and sound OK (not yet measured); B is also OK. Speeds 1/5, 1/2, and 1/1s do not work: shutter stays open until the shutter ring is moved outside that range.

Have dis-assembled (and re-assembled, several times) the shutter and traced the problem to the slow speed governor (not sure about the usual name, but you get the idea). See attached pic. Rightmost wheel engages a train of gears to the left, up to a caorse-toothed gear that can rotate only by flipping a rocker arm (basis for slow speed timing). According to the position of the lever visible at left, the mechanism can be in one of three states as concerns the constrains on the rightmost wheel:
- "free", engages only the train of gears
- must flip rocker arm
- blocked

When the shutter speed selector is in the range 1-1/5s, the right wheel can be pushed by the master ring (that links all shutter sub-mechanisms) only with external (that is me and a fine screwdriver) help. I did note that the position of the slow speed assembly can be adjusted (closer or further from the master ring); tried, but always the timer with the rocker arm needs extra force to complete the cycle. Tried to lubricate (with premium jewelry oil) no success. Removed the lubrication by immersion in isopropyl alcohol, no success.

Of course, a camera with 1/10-1/500 makes a nice shooter; but, still, I'd like to restore full functionality. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Compur slow speed governor

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration