Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Gez
Tinkerer
Username: Gez

Post Number: 274

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2011 - 01:31 pm:   

John, thanks for the full description of the problem you encountered, it will be a valuable addition to the archive.
The problem I encountered with servicing the MX shutter was both a narrow gap, only 1-2mm wide, at 500 and 1000 and the gap narrowing and closing completely at the frame edge, typical indications of dirty or dry bearings. Gentle cleaning and the minimum application of oil usually solves the problem, but in one case I made the mistake of over enthusiastic cleaning with Ronsonol which actually made the problem much worse and caused the first curtain to bounce out of engagement with the brake. You may have noticed, after removal of the speed setting plate, that a single brake mechanism serves for both cutains. The surface of the brake lever is lubed by an oiling wick contained in a very small plastic tube. I found that applying a couple of drops of oil in the tube and letting the camera stand for a few days allowed a thin film of oil to coat the brake lever and this made all the difference to the proper functioning of the curtain brake.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration