Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnboothe
Tinkerer
Username: Johnboothe

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 11:32 am:   

So that's what that little tube was for! I couldn't for the life of me think what that piece of plastic and string was there for. I thought someone had maybe put it in there to hold something in place and forgotten to take it out when replacing the plate. So perhaps all I should have done was oiled this. Drat!

I think most of the changes I made were probably work-arounds rather than addressing the root cause of the problem - down to inexperience no doubt. Perhaps the problems I was having with curtain speed and timing could have been sorted out by cleaning and lubricating the right parts as you suggest - certainly a better solution than sanding down the timing cam! It seemed in this case, though, that getting to the right parts was too daunting for me with my current level of knowledge. Are the bearings you talk about at the ends of the shutter pulley shafts or in the cog spindles of the timing mechanism?

Thanks for sharing your experience - it's very hard to find this kind of information anywhere.

I'm sure any seasoned repairmen (like yourself?) reading my account probably cursed and tutted as they read - understandably, but for now at least, I have a fully working camera and have learned an enormous amount in the process, so I'm pleased (the meter sprang back into life shortly after my last post).

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration