Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Old_school
Tinkerer
Username: Old_school

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, April 25, 2011 - 04:54 am:   

Just a few comments on these old meters:
1) This stuff is extremely toxic, so do not put your fingers in your mouth after handeling these cell. Latex gloves & a mask would be a good idea if you create any dust. Clean your bench after you work on one.
2) The old timers said that the cells would fail due to shorting out. They said to just isolate the damaged section from the good & recalibrate. I never tried this out.
3) I found that if you pull the cell on like the WESTON Master V out & took an ink eraser to the back contact surface area & reassembled they worked nice.
4) Anytime you have to work on a galvanometer style movement, clean the area of any stray iron particles to prevent the attraction to the magnet in the movement. Maybe do a sweep of the bench aera with a magnet before you start to service them. If you pick up a stray iron particle, a pin or needle can be used to fish it out. Just touch the pin or needle point to the particle & you should be abel to attract & have it stick to the pin point. A needle stuck in a piece of peg wood so the point is out makes an excellent handle a spot of epoxy to hold it in couldn't hurt.
Maybe later I give a general comment on balancing a movement.
Once again this stuff is nasty, so be careful! If you see yellow optical glass, it may also be selenium....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration