Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Plaskey
Tinkerer
Username: Plaskey

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 09:41 am:   

A few words of warning to anyone intending to shoot with one of these excellent little cameras. I got a complete outfit with two bodies, flash, winder and two Tokina lenses as an exchange - naturally the light seals had returned to their primordial tar state, so I cleaned these out and replaced them - I put a cheap Chinese film through the better of the two bodies and noted serious fogging on it after processing - no prob thinks I, it's a cheap Chinese film (it didn't even have edge markings)and probably faulty. Later I put some 100 ISO Fuji in it and go out for a days shooting on the coast. When I get the photos back - the negs were fogged. All of them. Worse, I also put an expensive reversal film through it, which I haven't seen yet. What had happened was that I hadn't replaced the foam seal by the back hinge properly - my new seal wasn't wide enough - it should fit the whole width of the back from flange to flange. (Ironically I had replaced the same seal in the other body correctly). So I stripped all the light seals and re-did them, adding some felt strips in the back opposite the wind spool, and a felt strip under the back hinge. Haven't put a film through it yet, but I will be surprised if that doesn't fix the problem... so beware of the Contax 139, those light seals are critical!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration