Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 922

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 03:59 am:   

Wayne,

You hit the nail on the head, re your comments about DSLR and Auto mode and the complete lack of knowledge on how to capture images on that funny silver halide stuff. However I think a good DSLR set in complete manual mode - including manual focus - is the ideal piece of kit to teach the fundamentals. The student/beginner can 'shoot' off literally 100's of images during the learning curve and see the results very quickly. To do this with film costs and did always cost a fortune, something that made many would be Joe Cornish shove the camera in the closet. Having learnt the fundamentals on digital, the student can put their valuable rolls of film to satisfying use.

I taught my son, and surprisingly a large number of his friends this way - with 'no fallers by the wayside' it was a rather satisfying experience for all concerned. The other side of the coin is acknowledging that from a VERY early age, my son had a much better understanding of the intricacies of Photoshop - still does at 27. Can't wait for the slate and chalk to make a comeback!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration