Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Denverdad
Tinkerer
Username: Denverdad

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 07:33 pm:   

This is something I have dealt with also, mostly on older cameras with rotating disc shutters (sometimes with the goal of creating thicker, stiffer replacement springs in order to increase shutter speeds). What you want to look for is called either music wire or piano wire. It comes in gauges down to at least the .009" diameter you found at McMaster (this would be a "size 0" I think). Ebay is another source, and I have purchased an assortment of sizes from a particular seller whom I could look up for you if you're interested.

The hardest part is fabricating the spring into the right shape from the wire. I'm not going to say it is easy (in fact working with the small diameters can be a real bear sometimes), but this link is very helpful and will get you started with some ideas for creating torsion springs (which is what I assume is the type you are trying to reproduce). The information there is perhaps geared more towards the making of larger sized springs, but spend some time on that site and you will get a good sense of at least what is possible.

As for that particular camera and it's springs, unfortunately I have no knowledge of what size is required. If someone with the same shutter could measure the spring diameters for you using a caliper or mic, then you just have to find the closest available music wire to that size. It is do-able.

In general, a thicker wire (and I believe also fewer turns) makes for a stiffer spring, and faster action. Once you have a spring made, you can also tweak the spring rate somewhat by changing the angle between the two ends of the spring and then re-installing it. "Opening up" the angle will make it stiffer while making the angle smaller will make it less stiff.

Hopefully that helps a little. :-)

Jeff

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration