Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mareklew
Tinkerer
Username: Mareklew

Post Number: 258

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 05:02 am:   

"I could open the flash up and apply 6V DC directly to the capacitor contacts and see if that might work."

Trust me on this one: if applying 6V to the HV-rated cap was to make any difference to it, then the cap is beyond salvation already. That's my point really.

From what you wrote there's something else wrong, or the cap is properly dead (not just de-formed). It might be the tube failing, it might be a contact problem (if so, then I'd suspect the wires going from cap to tube being internally broken and hanging together on an odd thread of copper), the cap being damaged (internal connections severed) or dried-up (age, lack of use and elevated temperatures), or the control-IGBT has slight internal delamination or severed bondwires, or there's some sensor that's bad (resistor divider that reports the cap voltage, lamp current sensor if any, desat detection circuit - if present)...

In any way it's not a trivial task to troubleshoot the circuit and once the culprit was found - to fix it. I'd try to return the unit as it's faulty.

Marek

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration