Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 149

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 - 09:06 pm:   

I just bought a Canon EF off fleabay, and it is truly one of the prettiest EFs I've ever seen. Now, I really like the EF a lot, so I am loathe to return it to the seller. I'm hoping there might be an easy -- or at least not too expensive fix possible.

The camera arrived here with no batteries and both battery compartments were totally clean. I installed a couple of 1.4v zinc-air batteries to get things rolling, but no joy. Nothing. The battery check LED won't light up, the slow shutter speeds don't work, and there isn't even as much as a flicker with the meter needle readout.

Years ago, a camera repair friend of mine told me that the EF was one of the cameras he disliked the most when it came to working on them. High tech for its day, it's decidedly low tech now, and apparently the flexible circuit boards can be a nightmare to maneuver around, over, and between. Plus after all these years, he says they are becoming fragile. Just what I need.

Honestly I do okay fixing mechanical things. Electronics is not an area of my expertise. So unless it's something obvious, like a crimped or cut wire or a cold solder joint, I don't know where to begin.

Here's hoping it's something easy, but at this point I'd sure like to hear from somebody who has some experience with the EF so I can know what to expect. Help!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration