Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cooltouch
Tinkerer
Username: Cooltouch

Post Number: 163

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 10:50 am:   

I was rather surprised to read in the MF Lenses forum recently that cold cream actually works very well for fungus removal. You slather it on, and let it sit for a day or so, and apparently the fungus comes right off. Haven't tried it yet, though, so I'm just passing it along.

I have successful removed light to moderate levels of fungus infestations with my thumb and fingers. I'll clean my hand to remove any possibility that I've got grit imbedded in the whorls of my fingerprints, and then I'll transfer oil from somewhere else, like my nose, onto my thumb and fingers, and then I just rub the snot out of the fungus. It takes some pretty firm rubbing, but this is usually enough to remove it completely. Last time I did this, which was less than a week ago, I successfully removed a few fungus spots from the interior of a Tamron 500mm mirror, from both the front and rear elements. Fortunately, Tamron did not put the mirror coating on the front surface of the rear element. The fungus was minor enough such that the coatings weren't damaged either.

Anyway, I wouldn't be too worried about damaging the lens if the fungus isn't too severe. Just give it a try; chances are you won't hurt anything.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration