Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Markluk
Tinkerer
Username: Markluk

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 05:52 am:   

I have visited this forum for a while but this is my first post. A lot of knowledgeable camera repair info posted here I must say. I have a Rolleiflex 3.5E with a shutter that does not fire. I own two other Rolleiflex's so I know how to cock and fire the shutter with and without film loaded. Here is a description of the problem.

1. After I wind the crank forward and back to the stop position, when I press the shutter release button, nothing happens. All I hear is a faint "ping" sound; the shutter does not fire. Pressing the shutter release again and it is all silent. In order to hear the "ping" sound again, I have to advance the crank and back. This happens with and without film loaded and all shutter speeds.

2. After I wind the crank forward and back to the stop position, when I trigger the delay timer, the delay timer winds down properly. It seems the timer attempts to fire the shutter and nothing happens. The shutter release button becomes lose and I have to press the release button (it then springs back to normal, i.e. stiff) in order to wind the crank forward.

So it is correct for me to assume that the crank transport mechanism has cocked the shutter since the delay timer is working (the camera has the Synchro-Compur MXV 00 shutter). I draw that conclusion because the MXV shutter has an internal timer so the transport mechanism must have cocked the shutter in order for it to work.

My diagnosis is that the shutter is cocked but the main spring is broken ... Any feedback is much appreciated.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration