Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 41

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 11:05 am:   

My advice is to go the cheapest and easiest route:

Visit a thriftstore (or multiple thriftstores) and purchase another old light meter. Check to see that it responds to light and fork over the $1 or so it should cost. I see a lot of old light meters in thrift stores, yard sales, swap meets, etc. Sometimes the seller thinks they have something special and ask $50 for it. They don't. They're abundant.

If you can't locate another meter, I'm sure I have several in the junk drawer...Don't get me wrong. I use a light meter ("classic"? made in 1970s/80s), and you need one too to use many of our favorite classic cameras. Unless your current meter has sentimental value, I'd get another one and start making exposures with your cameras.

You can still attempt repair of your GE meter. I once saw a website selling Selenium cells of many sizes and shapes (sorry I don't have the web address) so you should be able to replace the cell; Might have to cut it down to size. Now, corrosion might signal a bad connection or the need to replace wiring. That seems like a pain.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration