Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1003

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, May 25, 2012 - 10:24 am:   

Even more interesting as the placement of the holes is certainly unusual - standard accepted engineering norm is to place them diametrically opposite, as near to the outer edge as possible. Unfortunately I have never stripped a grey cased Lunasix completely down as I only consider the black cased 3s versions worth repairing, but having refurbished around a dozen over the years I have never seen pin holes in the 3s center screwhead.

Now there is a logical reason why center screws with pinholes are found on the early (grey) models and the later improved black models had solid headed center screws - Cost Cutting. The Lunasix was always an expensive meter and the vastly improved circuitry in the black 3 and 3s models certainly pushed the price up. Did Gossen do a cost analysis and shave a few pennies off the price by simplifying the manufacture of certain metal components to keep prices competitive? This was certainly done by Canon during the manufacturing life of the A1 - in the first series most of the gearing is metal and you can strip the camera down to the chassis without needing to unsolder wires. Cameras that came after this first batch started to contain more and more plastic parts and connectors that allowed one to just lift off the top plate were replaced by wire and soldered joints. The exercise worked for Canon as the A1 remained price competitive throughout its life: however, in the longevity stakes the later models cannot hold a candle to cameras from the first batch.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration