Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jd1
Tinkerer
Username: Jd1

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2012 - 07:09 pm:   

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and first major attempt at camera repair.

I picked up an old Konica Auto S3, which was in decent physical condition except for the hot shoe being broken off. I took an old battery out of it and didn't see any corrosion in the battery chamber.

When I replaced it with a zinc cell, here's what happened. For a few hours, the meter would move, but would underexpose by many, many stops. Probably 5+. It would rarely read above f1.8 on ISO 800 @ 1/8th, sometimes going up to f4 if I pointed it at my monitor. Perhaps this new battery is a bit drained now a few days later, but now the needle barely moves at all. It moves a bit when the shutter is depressed halfway. I tested the battery voltage when I opened it and it was fine.

The meter circuit is extremely simple, right? I haven't ripped it apart yet, but from I understand it's just the CdS cell, two (?) resistors, the meter, and the wiring. So it has to be one of these things. From these symptoms (extreme underexposure) what is it most likely to be? I am hoping it's just the wiring but I'm worried about the CdS cell, since I hear this is somewhat irreplaceable.

Any thoughts on how I should diagnose this beautiful old camera, hopefully in the least invasive way possible? I am handy with soldering but I hope I don't have to completely tear it down, because this seems tricky.

Your thoughts and experience would be appreciated.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration