Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 1047

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2012 - 10:53 am:   

One should be aware that not all types of double sided tape are suitable for attaching vinyl 'leatherette' camera coverings. The adhesive used on the tape should be of the plasticiser resistant variety. This may be somewhat academic if the recovered camera is going to sit on a shelf for the rest of its natural, but if you are going to use the beast problems could occur. It is logical to think that plasticiser migration only happens to relatively new vinyl. However, a rush recovering in 2002 using an unknown double sided tape on a couple of A1's that were subsequently exposed to heavy use during a very hot trip to areas of the WW2 North African Campaign, resulted in sticky goo and peeling coverings - another A1 with its original covering and adhesive was unaffected.

(Before people start to wonder or ask - I learnt many years ago that on some trips, walking or traveling about festooned in Leitz bling was not conducive to a relaxing and informative trip. A bag of nondescript, but functioning equipment is all one needs.

I know that Micro Tools sells the correct stuff in 1 inch width - not sure about their 2 inch product , but I think most automative suppliers can supply at a much more reasonable cost.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration