Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shellsea
Tinkerer
Username: Shellsea

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 12:57 pm:   

Update: I loaded a second roll, this time using the red window to advance to the next frame, and the film came out fine, so thanks everyone for your help and advice. Also, it seems that by manipulating the bellows into the correct fold before retracting them, the misfold has been corrected somewhat.

All in all, I'm really pleased with the way the camera handles and all the functions work quite smoothly. However, the negatives don't look sharp to me and I suspect the lens is out of focus at infinity. I have two accessory rangefinders, a Watameter I and a Voigtlander, that I have calibrated so that they both agree with each other but even with careful use and using smallish apertures (f8 and f11) my pictures are still out of focus (as far as I can tell). It's a shame that I don't have a scanner to post photos here as it'd be great to have someone else's opinion on the matter and I'm disappointed that I cannot make prints either as the community darkroom that I've been using is not equipped for 6x9 format.

However, I have been reading up on lens collimation and I'm thinking of having a go with a CD cover and some Scotch Magic tape in lieu of ground glass.

One lingering worry I have is that I noticed some crazing on the inside of the spool chamber, on the right hand side of the camera. Could this be a sign of impact damage, and if so could this have knocked the lens out of focus or done something even more fatal to it? There are no dings or scratches on the the outside of the camera nor any other sign that the camera might have been dropped.

Finally, a question about the distance scale focus ring: what is it that I align with the arrow, the numbers themselves or the markings next to the numbers? Apologies if I'm being thick, I hope this makes sense.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration