Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hollenbj
Tinkerer
Username: Hollenbj

Post Number: 126

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2013 - 01:44 pm:   

Camera too recent. "Classic Camera Repair Forum"

Sand is evil. I'm deep into my M3 rejuvenation project -- camera dropped into ocean at the beach. The water damage is mostly corrosion and that was mostly limited to steel springs (all of which I am in process of replacing). Brass survived well with superficial corrosion. The sand however, caused the true damage. Sand got into the film advance train and mutilated one or more gears when someone tried to wind the camera. I restored one of them and will need to locate a replacement for the other. If not for the sand, I would have a nice M3 right now. At least it would be reassembled and working.

I also have a beautiful Nikkor 50/1.4 with only one issue -- Someone attempted to clean the objective while visiting the beach. The resulting sand scratches render the lens completely useless. Deep circular scratches. Many scratches. Just awful. Who would do such a thing? I was able to clear the sand from the focus helical and lens interior, but the objective is beyond repair. I haven't been able to locate a replacement.

Sand is probably the worse thing for cameras. Fungus is bad, but can be prevented and fairly often an infected camera/lens is recoverable. Water is bad, but classic cameras without meters (even with) can dry out and are often recoverable. Burning is potentially worse than sand, but I've had classic cameras found after a house fire that actually functioned properly (still damaged beyond reasonable recovery).

Sand in a new modern digital wondercam like a Nikon 1 just couldn't be a good thing. Replacement?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration