Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jagstang
Tinkerer
Username: Jagstang

Post Number: 21

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 07:46 pm:   

Those lens have autofocus driven by an in-lens motor right? Nikon has two types; the cheaper kind used on the 18-55 and 55-200 where you must move a switch to over ride the AF (it's basically a little motor driving the AF in place of where the screw would mate with the in-body motor, using a shaft to turn the focus ring). My understanding is that "real" AF-S lens that apparently place the motor around the focus mechanism, and drive the focusing directly.

I suspect, given the small size of these lens and that they are aimed at the consumer market, it's probably something like the former type (especially if it's the standard 10-30), making for a more fragile mechanism. Either way, I'm sure those lens use some type of nylon or plastic gears and sand is probably fatal. Take it to a repair facility, but it's probably terminal.

My advice for future beach trips is to either get an old beater point and shoot if you require digital, or an underwater/sealed (not just splash resistant) 35mm like a Minolta Weathermatic or Sealife Reefmaster (these can be had for $5-20 depending on model and accessories). If you are going to the beach often, look at a used Pentax Optio WG-2 or something like that which is also sand-proof.

For more specific advice, I'd check out some other forums (photo.net, dpreview, or thephotoforum all cover modern stuff) and see if they can help; this forum mainly only deals with older manual-focus stuff, but you'll probably hear the same thing. Good luck though.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration