Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Neuberger
Tinkerer
Username: Neuberger

Post Number: 85

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 04:23 am:   

A friend of mine came up the other day and said his daughter's beloved early Fuji digicam was no longer working and that camera shops had advised her to buy a new one because it was considered to be beyond repair, and that a repair was too costly, there were no spare parts available etc.
She gave the camera to me and what I found was a "classical" nice little Fuji F10 with the built-in two-part lens covering shades not moving any longer. On the early digicams you simply have to remove the glued-on chrome front ring around the lens barrel to get access the the outward mechanism (little spring-driven plastic levers moving the two serrated semi circled lens protection shields).
In the end I discovered a few (!) grains of sand along the toothed edges of those above mentioned two blades. After blowing them out and some final wiping them clean the camera was fully functional again.
Lesson 1: as Rick says, NEVER take your favourite camera to the beach, as a camera usually collects a lot of particles, but SAND will literally kill them.
Lesson two: if there is nothing to lose, try a "repair", professional repairers, notably the "successful" ones, will tell you to discard the camera anyway!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration