Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 306

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, October 19, 2012 - 03:28 pm:   

As far as I can see, the entire mechanism here is inside the film sprocket, and note that it takes a little rotation when relocking, before the advance works again. I'm guessing that whatever is inside is very simple, and spring loaded. It may not be expensive to repair, but before doing much I'd resort to my usual first line of defense. Operate the lever about 50 times over and over again, and see if things free up with repeated use. Each time you re-engage the wind, turn the sprocket to see if the one-way latch engages.

On the battery, my local dealer suggested that these meters are pretty easy to recalibrate, and reset mine to work with an alkaline or silver oxide battery. Even so it's a pretty primitive meter, and I don't rely too heavily on it except for a starting point. If I were trying yours I'd try an alkaline battery first, and confirm that it's really working, and also see if it's close enough to compensate by offsetting the reading, or perhaps fudging the ASA rating. Remember that you can't replace a bad battery except between rolls of film. Since there is no "off" switch, you must put it in a case or cover the meter window for long battery life, and a hearing aid or Wein battery will go dead pretty fast if you forget.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration