Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rob

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 03:56 pm:   

Werner, I too suffer from being a cheap bastard. My prize camera still is a Signet 35 that I picked up at a yard sale 30+ years ago for four dollars (I should have asked for a discount seeing it was a neighbour). Although they were sold between 1951 and 58, the lens number puts it at 1950. I've collected a variety of clunkers since then that I've gone and showed off at work, but the Signet means the most. I was a teenager when I got it, and the shutter jammed up on me every so often. I also didn't know about the rangefinder function until four years ago (it was so far out of whack that it didn't dawn on me what it was for). A few years ago, some friends at work got me interested in cameras, and after Googling the Signet 35, I found out it was a fairly full featured little camera that looks like a toy compared to others. Since then, I've learned how to strip and clean the shutter on my own (many thanks to Dan Mitchell), and I've converted the M synch to an X synch that works well. I picked up a leather case for it from a fellow in San Jose that had an address label from Fort Lauderdale. I live in Toronto. Go figure. The camera has taken a large number of my best shots. I hope my kid will respect it when I hand it down.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration