Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

BrianShaw

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   

Lead-lined bags isn't a good option. In the US, at least, the airport screeners will not only turn up the power... but they will remove your bag for further inspection. The inspection options (their choice) include: remove film from lead-lined bag and X-ray it again, swab the film canisters for trace detection, or visually inspect it.

Incidently, they turn up the power for batteries, too, since they can't be seen through. I don't put film and batteries in the same carry-on bag anymore.

The better option is to take the film in a clear baggie in your hand as you go to the metal detector and politely ask the TSA person to visually inspect it. At their option, they either will comply or not. Arguing never helps... only gets them mad and encourages them to prove that they have the upper-hand. I saw this happen once - young guy arguing about TSA's refusal to hand-search his film. No threats were made, but the conversation was loud and the guy was clearly agitated. The film was put through the X-ray, his carry-on bags were hand searched, and he was frisked. I was right behind him so I quitely put my film onto the belt and didn't bother asking for any special treatment.

In 20 years of frequent air travel I've never had a problem with 400 ASA or slower film, including times when I've passed through half-a-dozen airports.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration