Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

newindustar

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 04:48 pm:   

I received a very nice like new S2 with Stuck advance lever and fallen off rf mirror. Using all the great links mentioned here and via Google I jumped in. I never put a battery in. The irises from both front and back were completly closed.

1. Top off and retreived unglued mirror, ok for present.

2. The second silver retainer ring to expose the front element was extremely difficult to remove. I had to use a hammer and screwdriver in the slots. I finally was able to remove it and the front element but in the process the front barrel got knocked past some stop and spun around shearing the meter wires where they go down inside the shutter. I also knocked the little brass post off what M. Feuerbacher,
http://feuerbacher.net/photo/frame.html?repair/KonicaAutoS2/KonicaAutoS2.html~Main
calls the cocking rack, the circular disk with all the ramps and grooves. I was able to repair the cocking rack post.

Next I did the Ronsonol moisten from the front being careful to not put so much it would drip onto the real lens element and I did get the shutter to fire a couple of times. I did so by giggling the self timer and other bits in the mechanism. At one point I was seeing both ireses opened a bit. Unfortunately it is all closed again and the advance is stuck again. The mechanism looks absolutely corrosion free.

Questions:
1. The front iris, is it the shutter or the apeture?

2.Are there only two sets of irises, one visible from the front and the other from ther rear?

3. On a good camera when you rotate the apeture ring should you be able to see the iris open? My apeture ring does not seem to cause any visible movent in the shutter mechanism or iris, should it?
4. The meter wires got clipped at the level of the face of the shutter where I cannot repair them. How would I access them at a deeper level to replace/repair them?

How should I continue with the shutter, remove it ? I hate to take off the leathrette because it is all in such good condition.

It is true that if you had cocked it while in auto you need a battery to release it? Could that have been the problem all along? I know people say you don't need a battery but under that one scenario of cocking when in auto, some has said you need a battery to release it. ??

Help, I really want to fix this beauty!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration