Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 09:02 am:   

Frank,

It really is not difficult to replace on the AE-1.Lots of models is perhaps pushing it, but Canon is not unique
- as a search of this Forum will show. I fully understand where you are coming from. With the AE-1 the problem is compounded by the fact that there does not seem to be a free download of the manual. Well I have not found one; but I knew I could buy a good hard copy for £10, so did not burn the midnight oil looking.

The knack with these 'string' drives is to make sure that you have set the correct combination of shutter/film speed or aperture/film speed etc. In most cases this will give you a wire with little tension in it - so you can carefully remove the top or whatever is required.

Canon used a tungsten wire because it does not stretch, thus the calibration of the system stays constant. However as you and many others have found, the lack of give and the very small diameter is a breakage waiting to happen.

I personally always like to read the manual before starting to repair an unknown model. Obviously it depends on the degree of complication, but even on something that looks simple the manual often reveals setup procedures that are not obvious. The Canon 35-70/f3.5-f4 is a good example. This little lens almost falls apart in your fingers, it is that simple to strip and reassemble. However reading the repair manual, you soon realise that to get this compact design to perform properly requires more than just a makeshift collimator. You need the correct test kit, so there must be an awful lot of these lenses that have had their performance ruined by well meaning DIY.

So buy the manual, yes. As for tools, this really depends on if you want the camera to remain looking unopened. Should you just want to repair a charity shop find, use the proverbial Swiss Army Knife. On the other hand a mint M2 in need of a CLA, is worth the investment in proper tools from Microtools catalogue.

Glenn

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration