Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 09:04 am:   

Do not know about Nikkor lenses but my experience with Canon optics may be of use. Obviously the ring has spanner slots. so is meant to come out. Now the important question; does this ring screw down the same set of threads that the filter screws into? If it does, then the ring will most likely be held by sealant/threadlock. On large diameter Canon front glass the retaining ring is threadlocked in place. Thus if a filter bottoms in the threads, the filter ring cannot grab the retaining ring and loosen/back it out.

On my Canon FD optics I use acetone/ketone (as stated in manual) to loosen sealant.

PLEASE NOTE that you must not use these solvents on any plastic components. I have no idea what so ever on your Nikkor's materials of construction, hence I recommend reading the repair manual before going further.

I have seen these rings locked by grubscrews on large aerial reconnaissance lenses. However I have never come across this on small format lenses.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration