Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Glenn Middleton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 07:04 am:   

You have two distinct problems here; the use of a participant's registered email address by a third party to send unsolicited mails and an email from a genuine collector/enthusiast about 'equipment' sent off forum.

I will answer the second point first by saying that I do not see a problem in this. It has happened three or four times to me, one email was completely off the subject range of the forum and was answered by private emails. The others were answerable via the forum archive and the senders were given suitable key words.

On the first point, I understand that some people get very upset about spam/unsolicited mails. However I would hope that no contributor to this Forum would use a false address or not give one at all. Certainly if you post repair information, I feel it only right that it should be done under ones own name and 'address'. I have read some postings, which to me appear a little dubious - has this person actually done that etc. Invariably these postings are done by anonymous persons. This I do not like or care for.

So are you worrying unnecessarily? Personally unsolicited mails do not phase me, so I am not worried. However it is clear that some of you out there do not like this, so perhaps it is important.

I will end by saying that I do think private emails can be of use on the Forum. Sometimes a beginner will need that little bit of extra explanation, but it is silly to repeat great chunks out of the archive for the sake of a couple of extra sentences that can be sent in a private email.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration