Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve Sheppard

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 04:04 pm:   

Just to help you get started, Roy, here's how to get into the Exa, as far as I remember it: I took an Exa IIb to pieces not so long ago (with some help from other contributors to the Classic Camera Repair Forum!), which I think is the same camera apart from the top speed. I didn't make proper notes at the time but it goes roughly like this: -

On the wind side, prise up the black ring with the frame-counter index mark. Find some way of locking the frame-counter scale without damaging it. Then, if you are VERY lucky you may be able to unscrew the centre screw with a friction tool, but don't bet on it! I had to remove the black leatherette disc and make a tool to unscrew it using the off-centre hole. Once these are off you can get the wind lever off (a circlip and 3 screws, I think).

Fold out the rewind lever, remove the screw underneath and the lever. Unscrew the knob (hold the film rewind dog in the film compartment), and remove the spindle from below (there is a spring, a spacer and a shim). To get the shutter speed control off you have to remove a very strong wire circlip. You need a pair of small-pointed external circlip pliers.

Pull out the shutter-lock lever, and you can now remove the top cover (4 screws). Then remove 4 screws inside the film compartment and the whole mechanism comes out from the top.

There are probably some details I've forgotten, but if you can get the centre screw out of the frame-counter/wind-lever, and the circlip out of the shutter-speed control, the rest of the job is pretty easy.

As for actually fixing the thing, Peter's manual should be just the job.

Best of luck!

Steve.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration