Rate Post Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Rate this post by selecting a number. 1 is the worst and 5 is the best.

(Worst)    1    2    3    4    5     (Best)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arnold

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0

Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 05:09 am:   

Hi!
I'm a newbie in camera repair but as a watchmaker, I can say tat the very best and finest oils for precision mechanisms are, by far, the Moebius oils, they're used at the 100$ less watches till the 100.000$ plus ones...so tye're quite good..
9XXX series are the syntetic ones, in spite to the ones from animal origin, they can be used without problems on plastic parts ,do not gum with time, they do not evaporate and they mainin an even lubrication for his entire live (about 20 years or more in an hermetically closed mechanism...quite enough, altough maybe less in a camera and I would recommend a service, cleaning and relube-adjustment every five ones)
the standards in the watch industry are the 9010 and 9020, the later one a bit more dense, for higher loads.
9415 is an excelent fabulous oil-grease for escapments (a really delicate point in a watch) it is a grease, so it will not spill out, but at higher pressures (when in contact with other pieces) it become an oil allowing a smooth lubrication, returning to their previous state after this.
8XXX are oils and greases from animal or vegetal origin, the oils I would recommend only on larger mechanisms like the ones found in grandfather and shelf clocks, altough the greases are quite good for use even on the tinyest mechanism of a wristwatch, specially the ones loaded with molybdenium or graphite.
hope this have helped.

http://www.ofrei.com/page246.html

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration